Southern Chocolate Pie with Coconut Whipped Cream
I made Minny’s Chocolate Pie from The Help for an Oscar Party yesterday. Needless to say, expectations were high and the pressure was on. Luckily, this piece of chocolate heaven turned out even more delicious than I could have imagined.
My favorite comments of the night were:
“Jes, Minny would be proud.”
“This is the best chocolate pie I have ever put in my mouth.”
“The texture of this coconut whipped cream is amazing.”
Since Octavia Spencer won an Oscar for her portrayal of Minny, I’m happy my pie was in the ranks of award winning, too.
Yield: 1 Chocolate Pie, 8 Pieces and 2 Cups Whipped Cream
CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
3 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2, 1 oz. Squares Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, chopped
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 1/2 Cups Nonfat Milk
5 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 Stick (1/4 Cup) Butter, melted
3 Egg Yolks, slightly beaten
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk, chilled overnight
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
8 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
1. Prepare No Fail Pie Crust and let cool. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan whisk together Sugar, Cornstarch, Nutmeg, Cocoa, Baking Chocolate and Salt. In a medium glass measuring vessel combine Nonfat Milk, Condensed Milk and Melted Butter. In a small, hot liquid tempered container lightly whisk three egg yolks, let sit. Gradually pour milk liquid mixture into chocolate mixture in saucepan and stir to keep smooth.
3. Bring combined milk and chocolate mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring consistently. Bring to a boil for 1 minute and continue stirring and scraping down sides to ensure all ingredients are combined and melted. Remove from heat.
4. Pour 1/2 hot chocolate mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk and mix well. Pour mix back into the saucepan.
5. Place saucepan back on the heat and bring chocolate filling to a boil for 1 more minute, stirring consistently. Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla extract. Pour chocolate filling into prepared pie crust. With the back of a spoon, smooth out pie filling evenly. Place decorative crust pieces on top of filling as desired.
6. Place pie in preheated oven for about 7 minutes to set. Remove from oven and let cool for at least an hour before serving. This pie can sit at room temperature for an afternoon without issue. Store in a refrigerator for longer periods of time.
7. FOR WHIPPED CREAM: Remove cold Coconut Milk from refrigerator without shaking or agitating. Remove lid with a can opener. Scoop out opaque white coconut milk fat that has separated to the top (about 50% of the can volume) and plop into a medium mixing bowl. Add Vanilla Extract and Powdered Sugar to the mixing bowl and whip on high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. This vegan style coconut whipped cream won’t be as fluffy as an actual cream version but the taste and texture are divine.
8. Slice and serve pie at room temperature or cool with a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream. Enjoy!