Whole Grain Buttermilk Banana Bread
Warm banana bread with melting butter – is there anything more homey? The smell alone is enough to make your mouth water. I’ve been making this banana bread for over 10 years, and have made a number of modifications and additions during that time. It is a great recipe though I’m sure I’ll think of a little something more to spice it up in time.
1 1/4 Cups white sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Stick Butter, softened (put in microwave for 30 seconds to soften quickly if needed)
3-4 Very Ripe Bananas, mashed
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 Cup All-purpose Flour, sifted
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour, sifted
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda, sifted
1 Tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc. – optional)
4 Tbsp Raw Sugar for topping (optional)
1 1/4 Cups Whole Grain Flake Cereal (I use Nature’s Path Organic varieties but you can use any)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Butter a Large 9×5 loaf pan.
2. Mix sugars and softened butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Add Eggs and mix. Add Bananas, Buttermilk and Yogurt. Beat until smooth. Use a wooden spoon to stir in flours, baking soda and salt until just combined. Stir in nuts (reserve some nuts for topping).
3. Just before adding to the pan, gently stir in slightly crushed whole grain cereal.
4. Pour into buttered pan and smooth the top.
5. Line a row of nuts down the center of pan, long ways. Sprinkle top with raw sugar.
8. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until toothpick from center comes out mostly clean.
9. Let bread cool for 10-15 minutes. Slightly loosen loaf from sides of pan, remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool. (If you don’t have a wire rack you can also use a cutting board, but be sure to roll it on its sides occasionally so the bottom doesn’t stay too moist.)
10. Serve warm (or cooled). This bread is excellent reheated in the toaster, with a little fresh butter. Enjoy!