Pear, Fig and Gorgonzola Tart
This delectable sweet and salty dish of pear, figs, honey and cheeses on puff pastry is amazingly simple to prepare yet complex in flavor. You can make this for one meal and reheat the leftovers in the oven for an appetizer for dinner with friends later in the evening or the next day. The strong flavors of the Gorgonzola blue cheese pair perfectly with the soft sweetness of the honey, figs and pears. Eat up and enjoy!
Yield: 1 Tart, about 9 slices
1 Sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Sweet Onion, diced
2 Tbsp Fig Jam
2 Tbsp Local Honey
1 Bosc Pear, thinly sliced
3 Figs (dried or fresh), cut into quarters
1/4 Cup Parmesan (or other Italian) Cheese, shredded
1/4 Cup Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
Freshly Ground Sea Salt
Freshly Ground black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place Puff Pastry sheet on parchment and thaw according to package directions (about 10 minutes).
2. Once Puff Pastry is thawed fold over 1/4 inch edge all around the square to create a crust border.
3. Brush Puff Pastry, including folded edges, with Olive Oil. Sprinkle diced onion evenly across the crust. Grind fresh Sea Salt and Black Pepper over top. Smear Fig Jam and Honey over Onions and Olive Oil.
4. Layer pears on top of onions in a circular pattern, covering as much of the crust as possible. (You may have a few pieces of pear left over to snack on.) Lay Fig pieces on tart, distributing evenly.
5. Sprinkle Parmesan and Gorgonzola crumbles evenly over tart. Add a little more Sea Salt and Pepper on top.
6. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until tart crust is brown and puffed, and all cheese is melted.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes. Cut tart into 9 square pieces. Serve warm. Enjoy!