Lightly Lemony Zucchini Buttermilk Bread
My parents kept a large garden in the backyard on our farm in Anderson County. In the late spring and summer the golden and green hued zucchini was abundant. Steamed zucchini with a little butter and herbs was a regular side dish at our family table. But when my Mom was feeling particularly ambitious she would actually take a little time to bake, and we’d have heavenly sweet zucchini bread. I couldn’t get enough.
Try it toasted with a little salty butter. So delicious and one of my all-time favorites.
Yield: 1 Bundt Loaf
1 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
7 Tbsp Butter, room temperature
1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, grated (one green and one yellow for color)
3/4 Cups Buttermilk
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
Dash Ground Cloves
1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
4 Tbsp Powdered Sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan with a little Butter and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer cream together sugar and butter until lightly fluffy. Add the eggs and continue to mix until combined. Turn off mixer and stir in the Zucchini, Buttermilk, Vanilla and Lemon Extracts.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together All-Purpose Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Nutmeg, Cloves and Lemon Zest.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture into the creamy mixture and combine with an electric mixer on low speed. Do not over-mix the dough, but ensure all ingredients are thoroughly combined and incorporated.
5. Pour the batter evenly into pre-greased bundt pan. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 40-50 minutes until the bread is a rich, dark golden brown, and a knife comes out clean when pierced through the middle of the loaf.
6. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn loaf out of pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once loaf has cooled to the touch dust with powdered sugar if desired (a sifter works best). Serve warm or at room temperature with Butter. Enjoy!