The drop style and sugar topping give these scones nice, crusty tops. They will last for days, and can be frozen, but are best fresh out of the oven. Reheat in a toaster for the same warm, crispy taste.
2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (plus 4 Tbsp Raw Sugar for sprinkling tops)
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Culinary Lavender (optional)
6 tbsp cold Butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 Cups Fresh Blueberries
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1/3 Cup Buttermilk (plus 2 Tbsp for coating dough before baking)*
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
*You can use heavy cream in place of the buttermilk if needed.
1. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, zest of 2 lemons (retain 1 lemon for juice), finely ground lavender and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter (or form or 2 knives) until mixture is fine.
3. In a small bowl whisk together fresh squeezed juice from 1 lemon, eggs, cream, buttermilk and vanilla. Slowly stir into dry ingredients until a moist dough forms. Gently fold in fresh blueberries.
4. Spoon dough onto parchment. Shape into rough triangles. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Brush dough with remaining buttermilk, and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until scones are golden. Serve warm. Enjoy!