Kristen’s Braised Kale (ME)
Last night I was at my dear friend Kristen’s house and she made this amazing Kale! She often downplays her cooking abilities, but everything I’ve had at her house has been divine and she is an excellent hostess. I loved the Kale so much I asked for the details so I could share it with you here. It is simple, easy and delicious. I don’t think greens have ever tasted so good, and I live in the South, where we eat lots of greens!
1 Large Bunch Kale – thick, ruffled, leafy
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or enough to lightly coat Kale)
Fresh Ground Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 Fresh Lemon (optional)
1. Cut Kale into large, leafy pieces. Cut off and discard all stems (or feed them to the critters outside) as you will not be cooking the Kale long enough for those to cook through.
2. Toss Kale in a large bowl with olive oil to lightly coat, and salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cookie sheet in oven to preheat as well.
4. Remove hot cookie sheet from the oven and lay Kale out in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
5. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes to braise to desired crispiness. Toss/Turn Kale with tongs occasionally to ensure even cooking and browning.
6. Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over hot greens (optional).
7. Serve warm with whole grains, chicken and other veggies. Kristen served hers last night with Quinoa, Blood Orange Roasted Carrots, and Lemon-Butter Rosemary Chicken. She cooked the Quinoa with some juices from the chicken which was extra tasty. Enjoy!