Janis’ Honey Bun Cake
There isn’t a spot of honey in this tasty yellow cake concoction, but it is heavenly sweet goodness and tastes just like the packaged honey buns of my childhood. My friend Jennifer often makes this cake for our get togethers. She learned the recipe from her mom, Janis, who often makes this cake for the Hayden family. This cake is a fantastic dessert and is absolutely delicious as a starter in the morning with coffee.
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix with “Pudding in the Mix”
2/3 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
1/3 Cup Water
8 oz. Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2/3 Cup Pecans, chopped
FOR ICING DRIZZLE
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer combine Cake Mix, Oil, Water, Eggs and Sour Cream until smooth.
3. In a separate small bowl thoroughly combine Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Pecans.
4. In a large rectangular cake baking pan (9×13) layer 1/2 batter in bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar mix over cake batter. Layer second 1/2 of batter on top, then sprinkle remaining brown sugar mixture over the top in 4th and final layer. Swirl layers with a butter knife to mix slightly in a swirly pattern.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
6. Remove from oven and let cool slightly for about 15 minutes.
7. In the meantime make the icing drizzle for the top – mix Powdered Sugar, Milk and Vanilla in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top of the slightly cooled cake with a spoon. You can always make more icing drizzle as desired for your tastes.
8. Serve cool or warm. Enjoy!