The textures of soft spinach and chewy, roasted garbanzo beans come together perfectly in this simple dish. This is a quick side to cook and share with your family and friends that packs a healthy kick.
Note: This recipe is designated “ME” for Mindful Eating and is generally lower in fat and calories than some of my other recipes. You can search for other mindful recipes in the navigation bar on my site under Food Love, Recipes and Mindful Eating.
1 15 oz. Can of Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
Freshly Ground Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
6 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
1 Lemon, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drain one can of garbanzo beans in a colander or mesh strainer. Rinse with cold water. Gently pat dry with a clean town to remove excess moisture. Scatter beans onto a baking sheet, and toss with 1 Tbsp Canola Oil, Paprika and Ginger.
2. Place Garbanzo Beans in oven and roast for about 30 minutes until outsides begin to crisp. Shake pan occasionally to shuffle beans for even cooking. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. During the last 10 minutes of the beans cooking in a large skillet over medium heat, warm Garlic in 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes until you can smell the hot garlic.
4. Place all Spinach on top of Garlic mixture, and let cook down for about 30 seconds. Stir Garlic and Spinach together and let cook for another 30 seconds to two minutes while still stirring – just enough to warm and wither the spinach but leave it bright green.
5. Remove Spinach from heat, toss with garbanzo beans and serve immediately while warm. Squeeze one lemon wedge over the top of each serving to add brightness to the flavor. Enjoy!