Potato salad is a Southern staple in the Summer for picnics and BBQs. And who doesn’t love a good dill pickle as part of their Summer feast? Dill is, personally, one of my favorite flavors and herbs. This salad combines my love of roasted potatoes and dill.
I use a colorful fingerling potato variety that includes purple potatoes and a red skinned variety to add a little color, particularly for those Fourth of July feasts. Just roast your potatoes, mix up the tangy dressing and toss for a flavorful, fun potato salad. This salad will give your BBQ a zesty kick!
1 lb. Fingerling Potatoes (colorful variety), cut into bite sized chunks
1/3 Purple Onion, finely chopped
1/4 (or less) Cup Olive Oil (enough to coat potatoes)
2 Tbsp Dill
2 Tbsp Rosemary
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Fresh Ground Sea Salt, to taste
1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
3 Tbsp Dill Pickle Juice
5 Tbsp Lemon Juice
4 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Whole Dill Pickles, finely diced*
*Use Claussen’s or another variety of cold packed pickle from the refrigerated section.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large roasting pan toss Potatoes, Onion, Olive Oil, Dill, Rosemary, Salt and Pepper until thoroughly mixed.
3. Roast in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until Potatoes are cooked through and easily pierce with a fork (be sure not to overcook, as firmer potatoes are better for potato salad), 20 minutes into roasting pull Potatoes out of oven and toss to redistribute oil and Potatoes in pan. Put back into oven for the remainder of time.
4. Remove Potatoes from oven and let cool.
5. In a small bowl mix Dijon Mustard, Pickle Juice, Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar until well blended.
10. When Potatoes are still slightly warm, in a large bowl combine Potatoes, diced Pickles and the creamy mixture. Toss until Potatoes are thoroughly coated. Add additional salt and pepper if needed (salt will help cut the sharpness of the vinegar and Dijon). Chill in the refrigerator until served. Enjoy!