Buttery Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes
I’ve made crispy, golden blueberry pancakes since my early college days. Now that my cooking skills are a bit more seasoned I’ve upgraded my standard blueberry fare to this fluffy, buttery version with ricotta, lemon and sour cream. Cooking these pancakes in butter makes them extra golden and buttery, but you can always add a little extra pat of butter on top for good measure.
Yield: 10-15 pancakes depending on size
2 Cups Pancake Mix (use your favorite – I use Cracker Barrel or Krusteaz)
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tsp Lemon Extract
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Lemon Zest (lemon peel grated fresh off a lemon)
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Light Sour Cream
3/4 Cup Reduced Fat Ricotta
1 Cup Fresh (or frozen) Blueberries
Butter and Olive Oil for cooking*
*Cooking in equal parts Butter and Olive Oil is my secret to crispy edges and golden brown pancakes.
Maple Syrup (100% Real Maple Syrup – no processed, high fructose corn syrup varieties)
Lavender Blueberry Jam
1. In a large bowl combine thoroughly with an electric mixer or whisk the following ingredients: pancake mix, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon zest, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and ricotta.
2. Gently fold in fresh blueberries.
3. In a large skillet melt 2 Tbsp Butter with 2 Tbsp Olive Oil over medium low heat. When completely melted and slightly bubbling (as pictured to the right) drop 1/4 Cup scoops of batter into the hot oil/butter mixture.
4. Cook on medium low heat on one side until underside edge becomes golden and crispy, and top of pancake batter is bubbling throughout (as pictured). Depending on the heat of your stove, about 5 minutes.
5. Flip pancake once first side is golden and batter is bubbling. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until cooked throughout and golden.
6. Carefully remove from heat and stack with butter (if you need more), fresh maple syrup, lemon curd and jam. Eat while steamy and hot. Enjoy!