I’ve already made 3 batches of these cookies (including the initial experimental batch) and it isn’t even December yet! My friends and family have vied for the right to take extras home, and eat as many as they could for themselves. I even found partially eaten cookies lying in the pile thanks to the mouse in the house (otherwise known as Mom). These are my Kentucky spin on a traditional Molasses Cookie. Bourbon and Sorghum alight your mouth with flavors and give the cookies a light, soft texture. They are addictive and disappear quickly, so good thing this recipe makes a full 4 dozen. Enjoy!
Yield: 48 Cookies
1 1/2 Cups (3 Sticks) Butter, room temperature
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Sorghum
5 Tbsp Bourbon (optional)
2 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3 Tsp Ground Ginger
2 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Pecan Pieces
1 Cup Turbinado or Raw Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer cream together Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy. Add Eggs, Sorghum and Bourbon and mix until well blended.
3. In a large bowl whisk together Whole Wheat Flour, All-Purpose Flour, Ginger, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Cloves and Salt.
4. Gradually add the Flour mixture into the Creamy mixture and combine with an electric mixer on low speed. Do not over-mix the dough, but ensure all ingredients are thoroughly combined and incorporated.
5. Add Pecans and mix until just combined. Turn off mixer. Pour Turbinado Sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
6. Scoop the batter out of the bowl and shape into one inch balls. Roll the top of the dough ball in the Turbinado Sugar, and place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 11-13 minutes until the Cookies are browned on the edges and begin to crack all the way to the middle.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Cook in batches until all cookies are finished. Enjoy!