Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Cast Iron Skillet Cake (Gluten Free)
This April I hosted an Ayurvedic cleanse for my friends and family, with the intent to bring the cleanse to a broader audience this Fall. After two weeks of cleansing it became clear to me that I feel much better off of gluten. I am not as bloated, I don’t feel heavy after meals, my brain is less foggy and my overall digestion is improved. So now the cleanse is finished and I’m trying my attempt at a mostly gluten free lifestyle. It hasn’t been too terrible thus far, though I do miss gooey, sticky yeast rolls and potato bread.
If you’ve ever wondered if gluten might be having a detrimental impact on you, I highly recommend the book, Grain Brain, that I am reading currently. It will make you think twice before loading up on gluten heavy carbs, and sugars, too.
But gluten free doesn’t mean you have to go without. I made this lovely gluten free cake for our cleanse celebration brunch. In addition to gluten free flours, I used healthy fats like Coconut Oil and Ghee (the Ayurvedic term for clarified butter), but you can substitute with Butter. I also used natural sweetener instead of refined sugar. By the end of brunch there were only a few crumbs left in the pan. That is a testament to itself.
Yield: Serves 10
3 Cups Almond Meal (Blanched)
1 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I use Pamela’s or Bob’s Red Mill)
3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil, melted*
1/4 Cup Ghee, melted*
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
Juice and Zest 2 Small or 1 Large Organic Lemon, cut into halves**
1 1/2 Cups Blueberries, divided
Juice and Zest 1 Organic Lemon
1/4 Cup Honey
*You can replace these ingredients with an equal quantity of melted Butter.
**Organic is important for the Lemons when using the zest.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet with Butter or Coconut Oil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine Almond Meal, Gluten Free Flour, Poppy Seeds, Salt, Baking Powder and Baking Soda.
3. In a separate medium bowl whisk together Coconut Oil, Ghee and Maple Syrup. Ensure mixture is not too warm from the melted fats, and then add Lemon Juice and Zest and Eggs and continue to whisk until combined.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add wet ingredients and 1 Cup Blueberries to dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 25-35 minutes, until a knife or toothpick punctured through the center comes out clean.
6. 15 minutes into cooking, open the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 Cup Blueberries on top.
7. Once finished cooking, remove cake from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
8. While cake is beginning to cool heat Lemon Juice and Honey for glaze in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until just warm.
9. With a butter knife poke holes in the top of your cake. Pour the Lemon Honey glaze over the top allowing it to seep into the holes. Allow the cake to cool for about 10 more minutes and then serve warm. Enjoy!