Spinach Garlic Rollups
What makes it easier to eat healthy, leafy greens than a little cheese, dough, garlic and butter? Not much I’d say. These little savory rolls really hit the spot and are wonderful when served with pasta or salad, particularly a little Caprese (Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil) salad.
This really is a simple dish with a homemade bread feel. I tried to eat just one then ended up having 2, then 3. (You know how it goes.) If you have extra the next day these rolls heat of nicely in the oven around 300 degrees for 10 minutes, and nestled into a little aluminum foil. Eat, Heat, Repeat. Yield: 7-8 Rolls
1 can, Pillsbury Crescent Seamless Dough Sheet*
2 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 1/2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
Fresh Ground Sea Salt to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper to Taste
1 1/2 Cups Fresh Spinach Leaves
2 Tbsp Butter
Grated Parmesan, to sprinkle on top
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to drizzle
*You can also use regular crescent rolls and manipulate the dough shape a little, or use a pre-made pizza dough. Either way mold dough to create 1 inch wide strips about 8-10 inches in length.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out sheet of Crescent dough on a large cutting board. Cut across the shortest side into even pieces to make about 7-8 strips one inch strips.
2. Divide Garlic evenly across each strip. Divide Ricotta Cheese evenly across strips and smear to the ends of each strip. Grind Fresh Salt and Pepper over Ricotta on dough strips.
3. Press a layer of Spinach leaves into the Ricotta, rolling the dough over leaves as you go. Press end of dough firmly to ensure roll holds. Place rolls an inch apart on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
4. Cut Butter equally into small pieces to match number of rolls and place one small pat of butter on the center top of each roll.
5. Sprinkle the top of each roll with Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with Olive Oil.
6. Place rolls in oven on baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Turn pan around 1/2 way through cooking time to ensure even baking. Remove from oven and serve warm with Pasta or Salad. Enjoy!