Small Acts of Self Care
The last few weeks I’ve been grumpy, irritable and uncertain. I question if I’m on the right path, which is always an uncomfortable spot for me. I’m not sure where I want to be or where I am headed. Most disconcerting is I can’t articulate the cause. Perhaps my stars are all out of whack. The heavens are not aligned, leaving my earth bound self in a slump. It happens.
Of course I can’t point fingers at any particular people or circumstances. At the end of the day there is only one cause, me.
It reminds me of a line from e.e. cummings… “here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide…”
And I surely can’t hide from myself. So, in attempt to shake myself out of the doldrums I make an effort to rejuvenate with small acts of self care. Here are a few I’ve indulged in this week.
1. Drinking an iced coffee (or in winter a warm cup of hot tea or hot chocolate) while reading a good book, curled into my favorite chair outdoors (or in).
2. Sharing some wine and a home cooked meal (or dinner out) with good friends.
3. Taking naps with my cat, The Queen.
4. Working in the garden and tending to my little green friends.
5. Scheduling a massage and taking time to relax.
6. Going to bed early to calm my mind and recharge.
7. Cooking a new recipe in my kitchen.
8. Taking time to reconnect with my closest friends.
9. Walking in nature to remind myself of my source.
10. Eating giant desserts and bowls of ice cream.
We too often feel selfish when taking care of ourselves. It is true what they say – if you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t adequately care for others. If your heart is a depleted well, you are the only one who can truly replenish it with joy.
What do you do to revamp and recharge? What timeouts fill your soul?
Keep a list handy of these small, peaceful acts of self care that refuel you. Treat yourself to as many as possible on a regular basis to rekindle your inner light and keep the shadows at bay.