Simple Two Egg Scramble (ME)
I am a big fan of savory foods in the morning. I love a few bites of sweet added into the mix, but savory and salty satisfies my palate in the mornings. I’ve been making simple scrambles for years with numerous types of ingredients – meats, cheeses, veggies and spices. Below are the basic instructions that you can modify with your preferred egg accompaniments. As always, know the source of your eggs so you know the chickens are being treated humanely and live a good life in between laying. Ideally eggs should be purchased from your local farms and at farmer’s markets. You can get to know some friendly farmers and may have an opportunity to visit the farm itself. Happy chickens lead to happy eggs and happy people.
2 Farm Fresh Eggs*
3 Tbsp Milk or Half and Half
Fresh Ground Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Tsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Cup Fresh Baby Spinach
3 Tbsp Goat Cheese
2 Tbsp Havarti, Shredded
*This recipe can be multiplied as needed for larger groups. You can also add meat (that is already cooked) into the eggs, as well as other veggies, spices and cheeses. Salsa, sour cream, etc. can also be used as optional toppings.
1. In a small bowl thoroughly whisk eggs, milk (or half and half), salt and pepper to flavor. When whisking be sure to whisk upwards, away from the bowl, to aerate eggs for fluffiness.
2. In a medium, non-stick skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium low heat.
3. When warmed add spinach, stir enough to coat spinach in oil and slightly whither. Add eggs.
4. Stir eggs constantly on low heat to keep fluffy.
5. As eggs start to cook through, add pieces of goat cheese and shredded Havarti. Continue to stir until eggs are cooked through and cheese is melted.
6. Remove from heat, put eggs on a plate. Cut 1/2 avocado into slices and fan across top of scramble. Serve with whole wheat toast, fruit or your other breakfast favorites. Enjoy!