Simple Tomato and Avocado Salad (ME)
It is Memorial Day weekend which means BBQs with tasty meats, baked beans, corn on the cob and assortments of fresh salads. This little salad is simple, fast and refreshing. It is lettuce free so the men folk are more likely to eat it (if your man is anything like mine – the less green the better). We can’t terrorize them too much with the green foods, but avocado seems acceptable.
Fast and fresh is the best food style for the holiday. This salad will serve 3-4, but you can easily multiply the ingredients below for larger groups.
5 Fresh Tomatoes, Cut into large Chunks
2 Ripe Avocados, Cut into medium Chunks
10 Leaves Fresh Mint (or Parsley for milder flavor and palates), coarsely chopped
Fresh Squeezed Juice from 2 Limes (or Lemons)
Fresh Ground Sea Salt, to taste*
*Salt really adds to this salad and brings out the simple flavors so don’t be afraid to use more!
1. Chop all vegetables to the size noted above and plop into a large bowl.
2. Chop mint (or parsley) and add to veggies.
3. Squeeze juice from 2 limes (or lemons) and add to mix.
4. Add fresh ground sea salt to taste.
5. Mix thoroughly. Serve cold and fresh. Enjoy! (NOTE: The lime juice will help the avocado hold its color, but the salad should be served within a couple hours of making for freshest appearance and taste.)