1 3/4 cups Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix (I suggest Weisenberger or Bob’s Red Mill)*
3 tbsp Sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups Low Fat Buttermilk
1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt (optional but adds an extra kick and moisture)
*If you can’t find a self-rising mix, add Baking Powder and Baking Soda to Corn Meal as directed on the package.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thoroughly butter a baking pan or muffin pan, or prepare a cast iron skillet with hot oil and butter.
2. In a large bowl mix Corn Meal and Sugar. Add beaten egg. Add Buttermilk and Yogurt. Mix until moist throughout.
3. Pour mix evenly in prepared pan, or scoop into muffin pan to make each inset 3/4 full.
4. Bake until cornbread is golden, about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
5. Serve warm with salted butter. Enjoy!