Pistachio Cardamom Cookies
A friend of mine discovered a fantastic recipe on Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska, a favorite at Saveur. This is an adaptation of that site’s recipe for cookie purposes only, but you can click on the link above to see the original recipe complete with Pomegranate Ice Cream for cookie sandwiches. Holy smoking goodness. These have a fantastic flavor, if you haven’t tried Cardamom before you’ll be hooked. Yield: About 30 Cookies
1 Cup Unsalted, De-Shelled Pistachios
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Salted Butter, Room Temperature
1 Tsp Real Vanilla Extract (never Imitation)
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
3 Tsp Ground Cardamom
1/4 Cup Raw Turbinado Sugar, to sprinkle on top
Whole Pistachios (or large pieces) to press into centers
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Thoroughly combine Pistachios and Sugar in a food processor until finely ground to make Pistachio Sugar. In a separate bowl sift together Flour, Cornstarch and Cardamom.
2. In an electric mixer cream butter, add 1/2 of the Pistachio Sugar. Continue to mix until light and creamy. Add Egg and Vanilla, continue mixing. Add remaining Pistachio Sugar and continue mixing. Gradually add flour mixture and continue mixing until all flour is thoroughly combined. Through entire mixing process be sure to scrape down sides of bowl and ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Remove dough from mixer and knead a few times in hands to ensure dough is slightly warm and pliable (not sticky). Prepare a silicone mat, wax paper or other clean surface by dusting it with flour. Divide dough in half and roll out one half gently on floured surface. Flour rolling pin to prevent sticking. Lightly dust top of dough with flour as you roll it out. Roll to 1/4 inch thick.
4. Use cookie cutter of choice to shape cookies (we used a scalloped cutter). Place cut cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle cookies with Raw Sugar. Press a Pistachio into the center.
5. Bake in Preheated oven for 12-17 minutes (depending on the size of cookies) or just until cookies become a golden brown. Allow another minute for extra crisp.
6. Remove from oven and move immediately off the baking sheet and onto cooling racks. Serve warm and keep in an airtight container to maintain crisp. Enjoy!