Honey Baked Sweet Potato Fries (ME)
Sweet Potatoes are a Southern staple to be sure. And nothing is as quick and easy as some baked sweet potato fries. I jazz these up with a little fresh honey. But they are simple, easy and delicious. I served these last night with Bison Meatloaf Burgers and Kristen’s Braised Kale – a tasty and healthy combination. Though we always talk about Sweet Potatoes, what we actually are more accustomed to eating and seeing (with a bright orange color) are Yams. But nobody wants to talk about Yams, so we’ll stick with Sweet Potatoes, even though you’ll be using Yams. Sweet Potatoes have a less vivid color and are a little less flavorful. I also find Sweet Potatoes a little stringy at times. Generally, I suggest cooking with Yams regardless of the reference. Over time you’ll see and understand the difference.
2 Large Yams, washed and cut into wedges
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or enough to coat Sweet Potatoes)
Fresh Ground Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
6 Tbsp Honey
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash Yams and cut them into same sized wedges. Lay Yams in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Toss Yams with olive oil to thoroughly coat, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place in the oven for 45 minutes until Yams are soft, pierce easily with a fork, and start to get crispy brown edges. Move/Turn Yams with tongs occasionally to ensure even cooking and browning.
5. During last 10 minutes of cooking drizzle fries with honey. Remove from oven when done. Serve warm. Enjoy!