Healing Superfood Soup to Speed Recovery from a Common Cold
In the cold of winter it is quite common to catch a little sniffle or two. However, eating the right foods can help boost immunity, lead you down a path of wellness, and speed recovery from common ailments. This tasty soup is just such a dish. Ginger, Garlic, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Roasted Chicken and Kale combine to make a scrumptious feel good food. Make a big batch, munch on it all week long and take it to work. You’ll be happy you did.
Yield: 6 Servings
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
4 Large (or 8 Small) Cloves Fresh Garlic, chopped
1/4 Cup White Wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
64 oz. Unsalted Chicken Stock
1 Sweet Potato, diced (bite sized)
2 Carrots, coarsely chopped
5 Fresh Sage Leaves, finely chopped
1 Sprig Rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
3 Stalks Celery, chopped
1 Roasted Chicken, meat pulled off and shredded*
Fresh Ground Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Cups Fresh Kale, coarsely chopped
4 Tbsp Worcestershire
*For ease and speed, you can use a rotisserie chicken purchased from the store.
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in the bottom of a large stock pot or dutch oven. Add Onion, Ginger and Garlic. Cook for a few minutes until onions begin to become transparent and before garlic is too browned.
2. Add White Wine to deglaze pan and scrape any crusty bits off the base of the pan. Cook for about one minute. Add Chicken Stock, Sweet Potato, Carrots, Sage and Rosemary.
3. Increase heat to high to bring stock and veggies to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low for a slow rolling simmer.
4. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add Celery and Chicken and continue to cook. Add Sea Salt and Pepper to taste. After about 10 minutes, add Kale and Worcestershire. Cook for a few more minutes, adding Salt and Pepper to taste to balance final flavor.
5. Serve hot and fresh with warm, crusty whole grain bread. Enjoy!