Ginger Lemon French Toast
I can take or leave French toast a lot of the time, but make it unusual enough and I’ll eat it up. I recently took a bread baking class and made my own Challah (a traditional braided Jewish bread eaten on special holidays), and a friend reminded me it makes fantastic French toast. I gave it a whirl with some of my food loves, ginger and lemon, and the results were very tasty. You can purchase Challah at most bakeries and groceries.
Yield: 8 Pieces of French Toast
Challah Bread, cut into 8 thick 1 inch slices
1/2 Cup Non Fat Milk
1 Tsp Ground Ginger Powder
1 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger
2 Tbsp Grated Lemon Zest
2 Tbsp Lemon (or plain) Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Butter (for cooking)
1/4 Cup Turbinado Raw Sugar
Butter and Honey (or Real Maple Syrup) to garnish
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together Eggs, Milk, Ginger Powder, Fresh Ginger, Lemon Zest, Greek Yogurt, Lemon Juice and Cinnamon.
2. Soak pieces of Challah in the wet mixture for 3-4 minutes, flipping occasionally, until adequately soaked on the outer layers, but not soaked through. You want to the bread to hold its consistency and texture.
3. Melt Butter over medium low heat in a non-stick skillet. Lay slices of bread in melted butter and cook the first side for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle top side with Raw Sugar. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown, sprinkling second side with raw sugar.
4. Remove from heat onto a plate. Add more butter to pan as needed to complete cooking.
5. Serve French Toast warm with butter and drizzle with Honey or Maple Syrup. Enjoy!