Creamy Chicken Potato Soup
This soup is super easy to make, especially if you have some leftover roasted chicken and veggies from the night before. The roasted chicken and vegetables give this soup a simple, yet robust, flavor. Serve with Simple Buttermilk Cornbread for a hearty meal. For the Roasted Chicken in this dish you can use the Lemon-Butter Rosemary Chicken recipe, or buy a Rotisserie Chicken. If you use the recipe from this site, retain one cup of the lemon-butter broth and add it to the soup base.
8 Yukon Gold Potatoes, large dice
1/2 Yellow Onion, Diced
2 tsp Garlic
Fresh Rosemary, about 1 small sprig
4 Whole Carrots, large dice
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 stick (4 tbsp) Butter
32 oz Chicken Broth (Fat Free, Low Sodium)
1 Cup Low-Fat Buttermilk
1 Cup Fat Free Milk
Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheddar, Chives, Sour Cream (YUM!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roast chicken as directed.
3. Toss Potatoes, Onions and Garlic in one large roasting pan with 1/4 cup Olive Oil, 2 tbsp Butter, Rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes or until potatoes easily pierce with a fork. Stir 1/2 way through cook time.
4. Toss Carrots in a medium roasting pan with 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp Butter, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until carrots easily pierce with a fork. Stir 1/2 way through cook time.
5. Remove chicken from oven when cooked through, allow to cool to touch, pull all meat from the bone, shred into bite size pieces, set aside.
6. Remove all veggies from oven when finished cooking. Dump 1/2 of roasted potatoes and onions and 1/2 roasted carrots into large soup pan. Add chicken broth. Mix thoroughly with an immersion blender (you can also use a hand potato masher).
7. Once mix is lightly chunky, put pan on a stove on medium heat. Add Buttermilk, Milk, remaining chicken and vegetables. Stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste, if needed, throughout simmering.
7. Scoop hearty servings into bowls and add any desired toppings. Enjoy!