Cranberry Glazed Italian Meatloaf
This meatloaf was a smashing success at my recent dinner party. The savory Italian spicing of the meat is a beautiful contrast to the sweet and tart cranberry topping. I went through 2 meatloaves with 7 people, of course I sent some home for cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day – the perfect lunch! Yield: 1 Meatloaf, About 8 Servings
1/2 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage (if in links, remove from skins)
1/2 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 Egg, Beaten
3 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1 Shallots, Diced
1/2 Leek, Trimmed and Diced
1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary, Coarsely Ground
FOR CRANBERRY GLAZE:
1 1/4 Cup Fresh Cranberries
1 Cup Spiced Apple Cider
1/4 Cup Raw Turbinado Sugar
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan on the stove combine Cranberries, Apple Cider, Sugars and Paprika over medium heat. Bring to a boil until cranberries begin to burst. Reduce heat to keep at a light bubble and allow flavors to simmer together for about 25 minutes until glaze thickens slightly.
2. In a large bowl combine Sausage, Beef, Egg, Worcestershire, Bread Crumbs, Shallots, Leek and Rosemary. Use a wooden spoon to combine and get your clean hands in there to really get the meat mixture thoroughly combined. Shape meat into a large loaf and place in a bread pan or other small roasting pan.
3. Pour 2/3 hot cranberry mixture over the meat, coating liberally. Save 1/3 to pour on top during last 15 minutes of cooking.
4. Place meatloaf in the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour or so until loaf is cooked through completely. Add additional cranberry glaze during last 15 minutes of cooking. When cooked through, remove meatloaf from the oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and a green veggie. The meatloaf is great the next day on cold meatloaf sandwiches. Enjoy!