Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie Pancakes with Sorghum Butter
Pumpkin is one of my all-time favorite things in the world. Add pumpkin to anything I instantly become a super happy girl. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and sometimes breakfast falls off the radar on such a big family dinner day. Luckily, these easy, beautiful, tasty little babies will fill the tummies at your table and hold them over until dinner time. The recipe is simple and quick with minimal cleanup. It is the perfect dish for Thanksgiving breakfast or anytime.
Yield: 10-15 pancakes depending on size
FOR PUMPKIN PIE PANCAKES:
2 Cups Cake Flour (or All-Purpose Flour)
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar, packed tightly
3 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 Tsp Ground Cardamom (optional)
1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 Cups Buttermilk
3/4 Cups Fresh Roasted or Canned Pumpkin Puree (ensure this 100% Pumpkin, no salt, spices or additives)
Butter and Olive Oil for cooking*
FOR SORGHUM BUTTER:
1/2 Cup Soft, Room Temperature Butter
1/4 Cup Sorghum
*Cooking in equal parts Butter and Olive Oil is my secret to crispy edges and golden brown pancakes.
1. In a large bowl, with a whisk, thoroughly combine the following ingredients: flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and spices.
2. In a separate medium bowl, with a whisk, combine Egg, Buttermilk and Pumpkin.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
4. In a large skillet melt 2 Tbsp Butter with 2 Tbsp Olive Oil over medium low heat. When completely melted and slightly bubbling drop 1/4 Cup scoops of batter into the hot oil/butter mixture.
5. Cook on medium low heat on one side until underside edge becomes golden and crispy, and top of pancake batter is bubbling throughout (as pictured). Depending on the heat of your stove, about 5 minutes.
6. Flip pancake once first side is golden and batter is bubbling on top. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until cooked throughout and golden.
7. Carefully remove from heat and stack with butter (if you need more) and any syrups and toppings of choice. Eat while steamy and hot.
8. SORGHUM BUTTER: Mix Butter and Sorghum in a bowl with a whisk until thoroughly combined with no lumps of butter. You may need to use an electric mixer to get a consistent texture without lumps (it depends on the temperature of your ingredients and how easily they blend). Note you can also melt a little of the sorghum butter and drizzle it over your pancakes like syrup – heaven! Just place in a bowl in the microwave for 10-20 seconds until melted. Enjoy!