Bison Meatloaf Burgers
If you like burgers and love meatloaf you will adore the tasty combination in this recipe. The burgers are made with lean bison meat which make them less heavy then a traditional burger. Of course, I still suggest smothering them in cheese because what is a burger without cheese? Bison is a naturally lean red meat and is a wonderful, moist substitute for low-fat beef. If you haven’t tried Bison before and want more information I recommend this website. Once I tried it I never turned back.
These burgers are extra juicy and super tasty thanks to all the meatloaf style additions. I’ve listed some suggested toppings as well, but it goes without saying that you should use your favorites. I hope you enjoy it, too.
BURGERS (Yields 4 Patties)
1 lb Ground Bison (Buffalo)
2 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Quick Rolled Oats
1/4 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 Tbsp diced Garlic
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp Honey BBQ (or other flavor BBQ sauce)
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Freshly Ground Sea Salt
Whole Wheat Buns
Any of your other favorites
1. Mix all burger ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
2. Coat large frying pan with 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, a little salt and pepper. Cook burgers in frying pan on medium high heat, Cover with lid, flip occasionally to cook evenly throughout.
3. When burgers are cooked through remove from heat and place any desired cheese on burgers (I used Havarti). Recover with lid and let steam melt the cheese.
3. Put a little butter on the whole wheat buns and broil in the oven on a top rack for 4 minutes or until browned. (Keep a close eye on these as broiling can turn to burning very quickly!) Remove buns from oven.
5. Layer burgers on buns, add avocado, tomato and other dressings as desired
5. Serve warm. Enjoy!