Bacon and Corn Buttermilk Waffles (With Fried Chicken)
I recently hosted brunch for a group of friends over a holiday weekend. Everyone brought a dish and the spread was impressive- Spanish Tortilla, Leek and Brussels Sprout Egg Casserole, Fruit Salad, Donuts, Carrot Souffle, Lucky Charm Treats (YUM!) and Mango Sorbet Mimosas. Amidst all that delicious sweet and savory loveliness these hearty Bacon and Corn Waffles topped with fresh and crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken anchored the meal.
The savory waffles and fried chicken can each fly solo. Combine the two and you have a heaping pile of Southern perfection. You can find the recipe for my perfect Fried Chicken here, Waffles are below (pin or print before you lose this link!). You can go sweet, savory or hot and spicy with the toppings. My dear friend Pam brought a divine batch of Jalapeño Butter from the farmers market. That on the waffles and chicken, drizzled with a little real maple syrup was heaven on a plate!
Yield: 9-12 Waffles (depending on the size of your Waffle Iron)
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
6 Tbsp (about 1/3 Cup) Butter, melted
2 Cups Buttermilk
1/3 Cup Green Onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 Cups Crispy Bacon Pieces*
1 1/2 Frozen or Fresh Corn Kernels (if frozen, thaw first)
Cooking Spray (Butter or Olive Oil base) for Waffle Iron
*Cook 16 ounces of Bacon until crispy. You can cook in the oven at 400 degrees on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil for about 20-25 minutes or until crisp. When finished cooking, place on a plate lined with paper towels for soaking-up oil. Allow to cool. Break into pieces for waffles.
1. Plug-in Waffle Iron and turn on to preheat per the user manual instructions. If you have adjustable heat settings, use medium heat.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the following Flour, Sugar, Cayenne, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
3. In a separate medium bowl whisk together Eggs, melted Butter and Buttermilk.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Add Green Onions, Bacon Pieces and Corn and mix until just combined.
6. Open Waffle Iron and spray with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 to 1 Cup of batter (depending on Waffle Iron size) onto the center of the Waffle Iron. Gently smooth batter towards the edges of the Iron leaving some room around the edge for hot batter to spread. Put lid down on the Waffle Iron and allow Batter to cook for about 7-10 minutes until steam becomes light or stops rising from Waffle Iron, and Waffle is golden brown.
7. Carefully remove Waffle from hot iron and dress with butter and syrup, hot sauce or toppings of choice. Stack with fresh Buttermilk Fried Chicken on top. Eat while yummy and warm.