Apple Baked Brussels Sprouts with Country Ham
These tasty Brussels Sprouts taste like a burst of Fall when combined with Apples, Cider, Pecans and a few simple pie spices. The saltiness of the Country Ham is the perfect accent against the sweet roasted flavors of this dish.
The key to good Brussels Sprout texture is to brown until the leaves are a little crispy on the edges. Of course, don’t go so far as to burn the edges black! This little dish is naturally sweetened with the flavors of the Fall and perfect as a side to almost any main dish. Yield: About 6 Servings
16 oz. fresh Brussels Sprouts, cut in 1/2, cut stem from bottom, remove outermost leaves
1 Honeycrisp Apple, de-skinned, de-seeded and cut into cubes
1/2 Cup Apple Cider
1/4 Cup Local Honey
1 Cup Pecan Pieces
4 tbsp Butter, diced into small squares
Dash Ground Cloves
6 oz. Country Ham Pieces (Optional)*
*For vegetarian dish omit ham.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place Brussels Sprouts and Apple in a single layer in a medium roasting pan.
3. Add Apple Cider, Honey, Pecans, Butter, Nutmeg and Cloves to Brussels Sprouts.
4. Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
5. Toss thoroughly to ensure Brussels Sprouts and Apples are thoroughly coated with mixture.
6. Roast in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until Brussels Sprouts are tender and browned around the edges. 20 minutes into roasting pull Brussels Sprouts of out oven and spoon buttery cider over the top and add cooked country ham.
7. While Brussels Sprouts are cooking, in a small non-stick skillet cook Country Ham pieces over medium heat until cooked through and crispy on the edges. Add Ham to Brussels Sprout for last 10 minutes of baking.
8. Remove from oven and serve hot.