(Almost) Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
This Ice Cream, with no cream or sugar added, is AMAZING. Seriously. You will not believe how close to the real deal this creamy dream is. You can make this 100% vegan by omitting the Greek Yogurt from the recipe. And if you’re a vegan that doesn’t eat Honey, you can substitute for all Sorghum, Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar, whatever syrupy sweetener of choice you prefer.
This stuff is addictive and not too bad for you, with good for you fats and potassium. This recipe is adapted from the vegan original at 84th & 3rd
Note: This recipe is designated “ME” for Mindful Eating and is generally lower in fat and calories than some of my other recipes. You can search for other mindful recipes in the navigation bar above under Food Love, Recipes and Mindful Eating.
- 2 Ripe Bananas, Frozen and Chopped
- 2 Small, Ripe Avocados, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sorghum
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt, just a little
- 1/8 Cup Cocoa Nibs, Roasted and Shelled or Chopped Nuts
- Freeze ripe bananas over night (be sure to remove peels before freezing or you'll have a mess on your hands trying to peel them).
- In a food processor or large bowl with an immersion blender thoroughly blend Bananas, Avocados, Cocoa Powder, Sorghum, Honey, Greek Yogurt and Sea Salt. (If you don't have Sorghum you can use 2 Tbsp Honey.) Blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in Cocoa Nibs or Nuts.
- Churn in an ice cream maker if you have one. Otherwise, spread out evenly in a flat, square glass baking dish and freeze, stirring every 30 minutes to break up the hardened, frozen edges and combine with the creamy middle. You'll need to stir every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours. After 2 hours it will be cold, dreamy and ready to eat.
- You can save this as you would any other ice cream, but it does freeze more solidly. Just let it stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften before serving. Serve with toppings of choice. I've topped it here with freeze dried Raspberries and Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranate Seeds. Enjoy!