Strawberry season has trailed off, but there are still berries on the shelves to choose from that would be lovely in this lemony cornmeal cake. I recently made two of these to take to two dinner parties in the same night. They were a tasty success, and the plates at both parties disappeared quickly (even with people taking extra slices home). This cake is best when served within a few hours of being baked. It is a moist cake and, with the berries, can get soggy if kept after the first day. So, make and serve this fresh for the best, tasty results.
Yield: 1-19″x13″ cake or 2-8″x8″ cakes
1/2 Cup Butter (1 Stick), room temperature
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Local Raw Honey
Juice 1 Lemon (about 1/3 Cup)
1 Tsp Real Vanilla Extract
2 Tsp Lemon Extract
1 Cup Stone Ground Cornmeal + extra to dust your pan
3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
Zest 1 Lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
BUTTERMILK DRIZZLE AND FRUIT
1/4 Cup Lemon Curd
3 Tbsp Buttermilk
1 Pint Strawberries, de-stemmed and cut in 1/2 if large
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter your selected pan(s), dust with Cornmeal and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer cream together Butter, Olive Oil, Brown Sugar and Raw Honey on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined.
3. Add Lemon Juice, Eggs, Vanilla Extract and Lemon Extract to the creamy mixture, and whisk together by hand.
4. In a medium bowl, combine Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Lemon Zest.
5. Dump dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Pour Lemon Cornmeal batter into prepared pan(s).
6. In a small bowl whisk Lemon Curd and Buttermilk together. Drizzle Buttermilk mixture evenly over top of cake batter in the pan.
7. Add strawberries to the top of the batter with the points facing up (see photo below).
8. Bake for about 35 minutes until the cake is a dark golden brown on top. The berries will sink into the cake batter as it cooks.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Top with ice cream and a honey drizzle. Enjoy!