There is nothing better than coming home to a meal that is already 80% complete. Toss these ingredients in the slow cooker first thing in the morning and let them cook while you work. No stirring, monitoring or involvement needed. To reduce the work further you can skip the flouring and searing step. You will lose a little thickness in the liquid reduction and you won’t have as much caramelization on the meat, but it will still taste delicious.
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour*
1 Tsp Sea Salt*
1 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper*
3 Lbs. Beef Short Ribs (Bone-in)
¼ Cup Canola Oil*
½ Yellow Onion, Cut into large chunks
2 Large Carrots, Cut into large chunks
2 Stalks Celery (Leafs on if there are any)
1 ½ Cups Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon recommended)
2 Cups Sodium Free Beef Stock
½ Cup Apple Cider
4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
4 Large Garlic Cloves, largely chopped
1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flake
*Note: If you want to skip the step to sear the beef, you can omit the * ingredients and place Ribs directly in the pan on top of the vegetables. Just whisk together all ingredients listed staring with Red Wine above, and pour over Ribs and Vegetables in slow cooker.
1. Pour Flour, Salt and Pepper into a paper sack or large plastic bag. Place ribs in the bag, a few pieces at a time, close bag and shake to coat thoroughly with flour mixture.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat bring Canola Oil to high temperature. (Put a little water on your fingers and flick into oil, when it is hot the water will sizzle quickly). Place ribs in hot oil in batches, as they will fit, cooking each side for about 5 minutes each until dark brown.
3. While Ribs are searing, layer bottom of slow cooker with Onions, Carrots and Celery. When ribs are finished cooking layer them on top of vegetables.
4. Once all ribs are cooked reduce skillet heat to medium. Add Red Wine to pan and whisk to deglaze any remaining flour mixture in the pan. Add remaining ingredients to pan: Beef Stock, Apple Cider, Worcestershire, Garlic, Ginger, Brown Sugar, Paprika, Black Pepper and Red Pepper Flake. Cook until bubbling for two minutes. Stir consistently.
5. Pour liquid mixture over vegetables and ribs. Cover slow cooker and set to cook for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker’s settings. Serve warm. Enjoy!