Heavenly Brown Sugar Pie

This brown sugar pie is amazingly simple yet delicious. For this recipe, I made some modifications to a recipe I found in the Good n’ Southern Cookbook, a collection of recipes gathered by the Civil League of Newberry, SC. This particular recipe is credited to Mrs. Maude P. Cartwright. It is like a buttery caramel with crispy, sugar bits. A little like a Chess pie, but with an even better texture.

My friend from childhood, Lathon, loved brown sugar pie growing up and members of his family were geniuses at making it just perfect. When I saw this recipe I immediately thought of him and, though he was happy to eat seconds of the final result, it is different from the recipe crafted by his family. Maybe someday he’ll share his family’s secret recipe with me.

Yield: 1 Brown Sugar Pie, 8 Pieces

• INGREDIENTS
    1 Stick Butter
    1 1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
    Pinch Salt
    1 Pie Crust

DIRECTIONS
    1. Prepare No Fail Pie Crust (or other pie crust of choice) and place in greased pie pan, but do not pre-bake crust. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    2. In a large mixing bowl use an electric mixer to thoroughly combine Butter and Brown Sugar. Add Eggs, Vanilla and Salt and mix for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
    3. Pour filling into prepared pie crust and smooth with a spatula.
    4. Place pie in pre-heated oven and bake for about 45 minutes until filling is dark brown and bubbling up and crust is golden.
    8. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes to solidify. Slice and serve pie warm or at room temperature with Ice Cream or a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Comments

1. Jenn says:

This looks wonderful and super easy to make! I love your recent travel photos, beautiful!

• Jes says:

Hi Jenn, thanks for visiting! It is a super easy pie for sure. And my travels have been wonderful. I hope all is great in Lexington (the photos from the Farmers Market look fantastic)!

2. Rod West says:

This is something I have to taste, you had me at brown sugar. I hope all is well with you, can’t wait to see you and hear about your travels!!

• Jes says:

Hi Rodney! I need to come visit Danville soon, so I’ll be sure to make a pie and bring you some before I come that way. Hope everything is great with you!

3. Sarah says:

I was looking for something to take to a dinner at friends’ tonight and tried this and it was a HUGE hit. Thank you for something that was exactly what I was looking for!

• Jes says:

Hi Sarah, I’m so happy this was a hit! Thanks for making my recipe and letting me know how it turned out. I hope to see you here on my site again cooking up some good stuff. :)

4. Susan Summer (sue) says:

I write a food column for newberry lifestyles magazine, and for almost 10 years I have been searching for a copy of the civic league cookbook. From this post, it appears you may have a copy of this “holy grail” cookbook! Please, might I pay you to make me a photocopy? I would be most grateful. Email is suedsummer@gmail.com. Thank you for considering this request!! Sue

• Jes says:

Hi Sue, let me rummage through all my cookbooks and find it. When I do, I’ll scan it in for you when I have some time. It may be a little bit because I’ll be out of the country for a few weeks, but I’ll try and get it too you pretty soon! How cool that you found this post! :)

• Susan Summer (sue) says:

Thank you, thank you!! Understand about the time, simply delighted to know the quest may be ending with success. Happy travels, enjoy! Again, my thanks. Sue

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Quote of the Week

"What makes you different or weird, that's your strength." ~Meryl Streep
  • Visit the Inspiring Quote Archive here.

About the Author – Jes

About the Author – Jes

On this site I share my bottomless passion for good food, big adventures and green spaces. You can learn more about my wellness programming, cooking and gardening classes and Ayurvedic offerings here.

Questions? Comments? Ideas?

Please contact me via e-mail.

Sign-Up to Receive New Posts Via Email

Enter your email address:

Follow Urban Sacred Garden on Facebook

Terms of Use

All of the content (including recipes) on Urban Sacred Garden is the original work of Jessica Pendergrass, unless otherwise noted. You are welcome to link to this site and its content, but please ensure proper credit and let me know so I can return the favor. Any duplication of the content or recipes is by permission only. Please contact me via e-mail for permission or if you have any other questions.
    Southern Food Bloggers